Ate Gorilla Glue-Is Gorilla Glue dangerous? WARNING: GRAPHIC


I found a story about a sheepdog and Gorrilla Glue.


Take it from Othello: Keep the Gorilla Glue away from curious pets

By Holly Anderson
Camden Bureau Chief

ROCKPORT (Dec 6): An Old English sheepdog named Othello, just 9 months old and described by its owners as a "hellion," finally met his match when he consumed a third of a bottle of Gorilla Glue late last week. Editor's note: Expandable, foaming glue and canine digestion cycles do not mix. In keeping, this story contains graphic pictures.

This x-ray shows the mass formed in sheepdog Othello's stomach after
he ate glue, and it also shows the staples the dog consumed on Friday.
Surgery performed by Dr. Bjorn Lee of PenBay Veterinary Associates
in Rockport Monday removed the obstructions and the dog is on the
mend. (Photo by Holly S. Anderson)

Gorilla brand glue includes the active ingredient diphenylmethane diisocyanate, a substance that foams after being exposed to moisture, according to PenBay Veterinary Associates, which performed emergency surgery on the dog Monday.

(Image courtesy of

If ingested in its liquid form, according to a veterinarian database, glues made with MDI can expand to many times the original volume, creating a foam-like foreign body that can cause an obstruction in the esophagus or intestines.

And that's exactly what happened to Othello, who also consumed a strip of staples and a remote control that day, according to his owner Mary Ames of Vinalhaven.

"He would eat Sunday and he also wouldn't eat on Monday, even when my husband, Richard, tried to feed him a steak, which he would normally devour," said Ames. "He's usually a hellion and very active, but he was becoming very listless."

So the Ames' loaded Othello into the car and boarded the ferry for the mainland, making a beeline for PenBay Vets.

What veterinarian Bjorn Lee found on the x-ray was astounding. In addition to a number staples throughout Othello's intestines, a mass the size of two softballs was lodged in his belly. There was apparently no sign of the remote control, save for a small piece of plastic.

Dr. Bjorn Lee, of PenBay Veterinary Associates, performs surgery on
9-month-old Othello to remove a mass formed after the Old English
sheepdog ingested one-third of a bottle of Gorilla Glue.
(Image courtesy of PenBay Veterinary Associates)

"Luckily, the glue doesn't seem to be toxic, and while his health was stable, Othello was clearly uncomfortable," said Lee.

Unsure if the mass would continue to increase in size, or lead to further, unknown complications, the Ames' opted for surgery to remove the obstruction.

Bjorn said that when a dog ingests a foreign object that must be removed via surgery, it usually requires a small incision, both in the outer body and stomach. But in Othello's case, the size of the mass required a large incision to expose the entire stomach and the obstruction.

"We all had our faces pressed against the operating room window, watching to see what was going to come out," said Juliette Surprise, who staffs the front desk.

The mass cut from the intestines of Othello, a 9-month-old Old English
sheepdog from Vinalhaven, weighed 11/2 pounds and measured nearly
a foot in length. (Image courtesy of PenBay Veterinary Associates)

And out it came, a 11.5-pound hunk of mass far too gross to describe in detail.

Following the successful surgery, Othello was seen Tuesday afternoon sound asleep in an observation kennel, thanks to heavy doses of pain medication.

Lee said that while he's been able to find information on the Internet about the dangers of Gorilla Glue ingestion in animals, he's been unable to determine if it would have the same affect on humans. In any case, he's warning people to keep glues like it away from pets and children.

Mary Ames said she's done with Gorilla Glue.

"I don't know what I would have done had we lost Othello," said Ames. "I didn't really think that this glue would be so dangerous, but I'll never have that glue in my house again as I don't need to stick two things together that permanently."

OMG, how horrible!
OMG!!! Shocked How awful, but how lucky for Othello that the vet was able to get everything out. I wonder if the remote control he ate wasn't embedded in the glue mass. Wow!

The gross picture-happy people on the forum ought to REALLY love this one! Rolling Eyes
Thank god he made it !!! Sheepies are little buggars, they'll eat anything !! Well Ollie will lol
That person said that they'll never use Gorilla Glue again but, from that line of thinking, it sounds like he'd better not use staples or remote controls either because his dog ate those too.

I feel bad but that happened to his dog but it is not the fault of the product that the dog ate it. I wouldn't keep any glue-- toxic or non-toxic anywhere where a dog can get to it. Our dogs don't chew household items and we still pick up the remote controls and anything else that could be potentially dangerous before we leave the house. It's a habit we got into because we care about the safety of our dogs. I definitely don't think it's fair to give Gorilla Glue a bad rap for this happening-- and I know this isn't the first time this has been a case of a dog eating it either.
Yikes - that could have had a much worse ending . . . Confused
So glad Orthello is ok, what a story.

Be very wary of Gorilla Glue. We spilled some on our
kitchen counter a few years ago. I called the 800 number
for advise on what type of solvent to use to dissolve.
The answer was-there is no way to get it off.
I told the rep what happens if someone spills it on their
hands. There was no response from the rep.

It may be great stuff, but we have never used it again.
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Didn't we have this discussion once before? The
glue did what it was supposed to do - the owner
and the dog did not. Why is this confusing? There
are hundreds of things in our homes that are not
safe for our pets to eat, and I realize accidents do
happen, but why fault the product for not being
edible? Can you imagine what lives we would lead
if we got rid of or didn't use anything dangerous for
our dogs to eat?

Nobody is faulting Gorilla Glue -- where did anything blame the glue?

People hear "glue" they think Elmer's which is quite safe.

The point is that an innocuous looking product may be quite hazardous, unlike Elmer's. Or Grapes. Or Greenies.


Please contact the Webmaster with your questions.


Copyright 2007 by All rights reserved.